In a week's time I will be on my way North to County Durham for
Christmas and New Year. I am going to see the pantomime 'Dick Whittington'
in Newcastle a week on Tuesday with my brother and my nephew.
I think I will be taking my nephew to 'The Grinch' followed by
Macdonalds that week, unless there is some other film he fancies.
I thought I would post a seasonal poem from 1990 to instigate
my trip North, but this year it is going to be the rain rather
than the ice and snow which will mark the trip. I am still reeling
from being called a 'psychoneurotic who hasnt worked for twenty
years' by a wellknown poetry critic so next year I will have to
write some new poems. If anyone can tell me where the phrase
'comes a horseman' comes from I would be grateful. I pinched it
from the film title.

And I am upset that this government is going to ban foxhunting.
I grew up nextdoor to the secretary of the local farmer's meet
and think foxes get what they deserve.

Alone, at Durham

Comes a horseman, in Winter,
To the greatest cathedral north of the Alps;
It is the end of an old tale.

Bespectacled, with grey hairs,
In the mirror I view his face;
He once sent his voice around the world.

All he has now is pen, paper and the memory,
The distant tide of faith fast receding;
Snow, ice and the mad mists beckon.

Came a horseman, in Summer,
From the morning to the citadel;
The days of honey licking the silver tongue.

`Love is a vapour, we're soon through it.'
Uncle Basil had no more success than I;
I tilted my head at all the rainbows.

Comes a horseman, in Winter,
By Heighington village to the Raby Hunt Inn;
Thru fog, ice and snow to a welcoming fire.