I agree that the primary concern for Mateer seems to be the way in which a
critical culture is evolving surrounding Aust poetry. In the same issue of
ABR, Cassandra Pybus refers to a 'cosiness' evident in much of Australian
fiction reviewing. If this is an accurate descriptor, is it equally
applicable to poetry? And does this 'cosiness' exacerbate a
reluctance/postponement which Mateer--with reason--finds somewhat
dismaying. Interesting to note, though, that in concluding Mateer himself
did not state his own opinion on the greatness or otherwise of the two
poets in question. I'm left wondering why . . .
Cheers
Louise.