>But as a reader of
>both, I would say that Hope _is_ great in a very narrow sense, & that the
>celebrated 'wit' is often interesting, but undermined by a hopeless
>misogyny (although the misanthropy often works). Wright isn't quite so
>'interesting' (is that the word I want?) in terms of using trad forms, but
>her passion & emotional commitment come through more powerfully. And I,
>unlike many of her country people, actually think her late experiments with
>the ghazal among her most exciting work...

Hope's not so easily taped as misogynist:  I'm thinking of Advice to
Young Ladies, about Postumia, a Vestal Virgin deemed too lively and
prosecuted for sexual misdemeanour:

How many the black maw has swallowed in its time!
Spirited girls who would not know their place;
Talented girls who found that the disgrace
Of being a woman made genius a crime;

How many others, who would not kiss the rod
Domestic bullying broke or public shame?
Pagan or Christian, it was much the same:
Husbands, St Paul declared, rank next to God.

And ranks this next to Galileo's and Bruno's persecution by the
Inquisition.

I'd say Wright was equally interesting and able in using traditional
forms, but did other things with them - here's from A Child's Nightmare -

So you come running from your dreams
where flame and shadow one by one
reveal and darken all that's known
to sob and tremble in my arms.