>FIFTH SUB VOICIVE COLLOQUIUM - CALL FOR PROPOSALS
>
>central London location
>29th September 2001
>exact times to be announced
>
>Theme: How do we perform that?
>

>Expansion of theme: What is the relationship between what is on the page
>and
>what is performed, visually, aurally and gesturally?

I won't be able to attend the colloquium but I think this is an interesting
topic and would like to wiegh-in.

I have come to see the printed page as analogous to musical score--that the
line breaks and punctuation in particular are designations of places where a
reader is to pause, to take a breath, etc.  I structure my works in this way
for the reader as well as for myself to remind myself of how I am to read
the piece aloud.

There are other methods to indicate places where emphasis is to be
placed--placing a word alone.  Capitalizing it.  Placing characters such a
little stars (*) around it to indicate some special emphasis/or accent is
intended.

Chris Hayden