----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 8:43 PM
Subject: Rejected [non-member submission] Tr: design knowledge & phd

----- Original Message -----
From: alain findeli
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, October 14, 2000 10:32 PM
Subject: design knowledge & phd

Hi all,

The following are two earlier postings which, for technical reasons, never came through on the list. The first one is a comment on Dick's reply to Ellen (Aug. 31) originally sent Sept. 15, the second one a reply to one of Rosan's notes sent Oct. 4. I thought that, in spite of the delay, they would contribute to our discussions.

Alain Findeli
School of Industrial Design
University of Montreal

Dear Dick,

I certainly agree with your conviction that the paleoteric division between
theory and practice should be replaced by a neoteric model, and I also find
your Aristotelian distinction between practice and production helpful in
design thinking. But aren't you contradicting yourself at the beginning of
your note by apparently acknowledging and promoting the existence of two
very distinct master's degrees (one in design practice and one in design
studies)? The same contradiction appears in the wish to create and
distinguish a PhD in Design from a DDes. It seems to me that as long as
these distinctions exist, we will keep muddling around in paleoteric
patterns. I believe our current Western, i.e. dualistic, agnostic,
materialistic, thinking patterns are not "creative" enough to figure out,
indeed to design, what I and others consider to be one of the key issue in
this matter: the exact nature and quality of the relationship between
thinking and acting (of which making can be considered a subset), between
pure and practical reason, between science and ethics, etc. In more concrete
terms, the question is: what is the exact relationship that you wish to
establish, on one hand, and that the students actually establish, on the
other, between the two parts of your master's program at Carnegie (the
studio project and the written dissertation)? Does it really lead to a
metamorphosis of the practice and of the theory of design, to the education
of enlightened practitioners? I mean "metamorphosis", not "contribution to".
Best,
Alain