dear ken,

i read your text but i couldn't not possibly know its meaning until after reading it.  i presume another reader may well read it differently.  and worse, someone unfamiliar with distinguishing characters and the practice of scanning them from left to right and from top to bottom may see patterns but no text.  so, what are you composing without a reader?  my short answer: it is unknowable.

in my opinion, your contention that there are facts of nature regardless of anyone recognizing them as such and that there is information in books regardless of anyone's state of knowledge goes against all we know of human epistemology, even against information theory.

shannon's information theory measures the information quantity of a message against the background of all messages already known.  a message already known does not add information.  information is always relative to prior knowledge (or a larger set of messages).

from where i come from, facts of nature are invented by natural scientists.  scientists profess to be experts at describing them and in so doing either are unaware of their role in making them or cynically preserve their authority by hiding behind an illusionary conception of objectivity.  after all, "fact" is a derivative of "factum", latin for making, producing.  the biologist ruth hubbard once said, pointedly: "every fact has a factor."

i understand your quite practical intent, of course, when you say that "the term information permits one to deal with structured data stored in books, computers, etc., without regard to what one does with it." but note the epistemological paradox you get yourself into:  your sentence states the usefulness of making your distinction while asking us to ignore the reason for making the distinction.  it reminds me of heinz von foerster's definition of objectivity:  "objectivity is the illusion of being able to observe reality without an observer."

what does this have to do with design?  well, i do not want to advertise product semantics at this point, but this is a discourse that avoids being drawn into these illusionary objectivisms.  for example, it suggests "forms" to be not of nature but re-cognized and described by someone who may have good reasons to momentarily ignore their context and how others see them.  it respects the difference between my way of seeing and someone else's way of seeing and thereby invites interactive or dialogical explanations of what happens when such differences are encountered (why we communicate).  it acknowledges that humans co-construct their worlds to live in them.  as such, it provides spaces for designers to contribute changes to these worlds.  and it avoids universalist=authoritarian constructions of reality such as embodies in the traditional belief that designers (authors) are in charge of (have the authority to determine) how people see and use their artifacts.  etc.

it is late.

klaus