Hi Dick

I appreciate what you have said. But I don't understand how
"a personal exploration for better understanding of something" makes
a Ph.D. education unique.

I would think that to certain extent, personal exploration and development
exist, (or should exist), in all levels of education. Besides, what experience is
not personal?

Thanks Rosan

> Norm,
>
> Thanks for expressing what many of us believe is the essence of the
> Ph.D. in any field of inquiry.  What you have described was the guiding
> instruction I received at the University of Chicago when I began my own
> doctoral study--and it w as the only reason I had for seeking the degree:
>  to fulfill a personal exploration for better understanding of something
> that I had experienced many years before.  Study for the Ph.D. is a
> remarkably personal experience, gradually validated and obj ectified by
> the mind grappling with difficult problems and seeking the best
> answers--the answers most grounded and defensible, as we are given the
> light to see.  Aided by a master, who shares what he can, we slowly find
> our place in a very complex world.  If we are very fortunate, our work
> may also help others to do the same.
>
> Dick
>

> Richard Buchanan, Ph.D.
> Professor and Head