Hello All

I'm greatful to Ken Freedman for bringing this list to my attention. I have
just read through the archive of contributions following Richard Buchanan's
question about the'Canon' which I much enjoyed and to which I would like to
add a acouple of thoughts.

First, to declare my interest. My design field is information design and my
primary interest these days is in the philosophy of design. I must also tell
you that my capacity to take part in sustained contributions to lists is
limited because of the nature of my other commitments. However, I do try.

I think that Richard's original question is an excellent one and many of the
suggested answers and critiques are useful in helping us all think through
these issues. But I think Richard's questions is most valuable in drawing
our attention to a set of question which are logically prior: ie what are
the principles and criteria we use to select texts which are important to us
and possibly to future students in our field? Attempting to answer these
logically prior questions will tell us something about the ideas that inform
our thinking as designers.

In drawing attention to these logically prior questions I am not suggesting
that we must resolve these questions before deciding on which texts to
choose. Rather, I am suggesting that by making choices and arguing about
them we will come to a better understanding of the implicit and
unarticulated ideas that inform our thinking and which we hope will guide
PhD students in the future.

David

--
Professor David Sless