Following up on the talent question I'd just add a bit of sense to my
earlier nonsense which points to the social nature of the Jewish traditions
behind our use of talent. A talent is not only a measure of something (what
can be borne) but it is also that which might be measured (weighed) and, by
extension, on the basis that all goods belong to the tribe and not to the
individual, a talent is a skill, gift, craft etc that an individual holds
in the name of the tribe - it too must be put to good use for the benefit
of the whole. The point then is not so much in defining the talent as a
thing in itself, but in decsribing the use of the talent for the benefit of
the group - hence some talents are best left hidden.

keith russell
uni of newcastle OZ