Just a quick comment on process on this bboard.  Steve, I know that
Ellen's message was posted to the entire list--and that is why I
responded to the list.  Perhaps there is some reason that some of these
messages are not getting to you.  I'm probably missing some, too, of the
private sort.

Steve also introduces a very important theme, I think, when he discusses
the dissertations he is directing in the area of interface.

Excerpts from mail: 31-Aug-100 Re: Theory and originality by Stephen
Scrivener@covent
> However, most of my experience as a PhD supervisor has been gained through
> the supervision of students undertaking human-computer interface design
> projects. Although designing, these students didn't really see themselves
> as 'designers', seeing themselves rather as engineers or technologists. In
> Computer Science, many PhDs can be described as problem-solving and the
> discipline has no difficulty understanding what it means to undertake a
> problem-solving PhD, or what it looks like.

I won't comment further at this point, but the issue is extremely
complex and equally important as we seek the nature of a design
doctorate--rather than a doctorate that involves designers but is
essentially located in another area of inquiry.  I take Steve's
observations as data toward a deep issue that we should discuss quite
carefully.  By the way, there is a parallel in professional design
practice that concerns me deeply and on which I am spending considerable
time.  Perhaps you are aware of that issue, too.

Dick

Richard Buchanan
Professor and Head
School of Design