Helle,

I know some people who have carried out their PhDs in the area of textile
design from the Institute of Advanced Studies, Manchester Metropolitan
University. One of them is Jo Heeley. She might be working in the
Department of Textiles at MMU. As I remember, previous issues of The
Design Journal (by Gower) covers an article by her. Good contact person
may be Dr. John Langrish who has been supervising many PhDs (most probably
Jo Heeley's as well), including in the area of textile design.

Good luck.

Dr Ozlem Er
Dept. of Industrial Product Design
Istanbul Technical University