Klaus, Klaus (and others) --

You lovely man.  You always say the right things.  Until now.

Perhaps the salient distinction is between behavior which is observable
and behavior which is not.  We sociologists define thinking as a
behavior.  It is, in fact, sometimes amazingly observable.  In my work, I
cannot prove, but I certainly argue that the ways we behave -- through the
objects and people we maninipulate as well as through the actions our
bodies exert -- directly reflect our thinking.  The self-conscious
intentionality of that thinking is another matter.  Only in philosophy and
design classes -- and treatises on socio-biology -- have I found people
obsessing about intentionality.  Oddly enough.  (I include robotics in
design, by the way.)

Just as the dichotomy between thinking and feeling seems somehow arcane to
me, as a sociologist, so does the dichotomy between thinking and
acting.  Thinking IS acting.  Acting certainly reflects thinking -- at a
more or less conscious level, with consciousness varying across time
especially seen in the creation of habits and I am willing to put forth
the argument that acting promotes thinking.  And perhaps even (gasp) that
acting constitutes thinking.

And, despite my love of dead German philosophers, it was watching design
students draw that made me think that.

Christena Nippert-Eng, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Sociology
Illinois Institute of Technology