Klaus, Tim and All,

I heartly agree that by doing (design) you learn the skill, which you
cannot learn by reading about or observing others doing it. The skill can
be lost if not practiced, or if something happens to impair the skill. The
following favourite story from the consulting community illustrates the
point.

Max the cat was the most prolific lover in the local cat community.
Unfortunately he made rather much noise before and during the love-making
act. Max's owner and neighbours got rather tired of having their sleep
disturbed, and decided to castrate Max. A week went by in peace and quiet,
but then Max was bach meuwing more than ever. The owner asked Max what the
noise was all about. "Since I can no longer do it, I have established
myself as a consultant", Max replied.

I take it for granted that any design study requires practicing what is
being taught. I also take it for granted that any research study (read PhD
degree program) requires practicing the research methods taught. I
therefore expect somebody with both an undergraduate and a doctorate to be
able to both practice and research design. I do not expect somebody
researching design without having a design undergraduate or masters to be
able to design.

What this implies is that it is not a must to have designing as a part of a
doctorate in design. On the other hand a design or designing can be part of
a doctorate in design as long as it is combined with scientific research on
design.

Since mastering scientific research is so important for being accepted in
the academic community many people feel the pressure to earn a doctorate,
though they do not really want to master that art. At the same time we do
need teachers who are good designers to teach designing and be able to
advice students while training on doing design. This should be recognized
and be rewarded through promotion. In the Norwegian system somebody without
a doctorate but with recognized artistry in design can rise to the position
of assistant, associate, and professor, even name-chair professor, provided
that person also has demonstrated sufficient teaching skills and contribute
to the development of teaching in the field. These professors have no duty
to do reseach, nor do all of them engage in research, but they do produce
and exhibit pieces of art and new designs. I hope this is not a unique
solution existing only in my country.

Brynjulf

Brynjulf Tellefsen
Associate Professor