I like Chris's digression--with a further note from Glenn--very much.
Of course, it is not a digression at all.  There is a profound
difference between understanding the principles of an art and being able
to practice the art well.

One of the challenges for teachers is to conduct research into the
principles of design and then give equally careful attention to how the
understanding of principles is reformulated into educational practice.
In fact, the latter is certainly a legitimate area of research in its
own right, as we well know.

One point to consider is the change that is now taking place in design
education.

In the past, many schools offered little more than a slightly modified
apprentice experience--comparable in many ways to on-the-job training.
And the faculty were often adjuncts, with loads of practical
experience--and sometimes without the interest, ability, or skill to
extract from their practical experience true principles of design.

Today, we find more faculty who are prepared and interested (in some
cases by institutional pressure) to conduct research.  But the danger is
that the study of design principles (research) may, for a time, lead to
a weakening of practical design education.  As we grow more
sophisticated, I hope we will see equal attention given to teaching.

So, there are dangers on both sides--overemphasis on apprenticeship
experience in schools and overemphasis on research.

Perhaps this is one reason that the conference in Perth this December is
so important.  The theme is undergraduate design education in a
university setting.  Frankly, it is the often unremarked move of design
education into universities that has contributed significantly to
widespread interest in design research.  Understanding the culture of
university education--and how we may use it properly to advance design,
without weakening design--is very important at this point.  That is one
of several reasons why I think the Perth conference is quite important
in the scheme of things.  And why I think it is a very appropriate
balance to our Ph.D. conferences.

Dick