Hi gender is a significant concept in sociology and social research.
According to Bob Connell Professor of sociology   and author of
'Gender and Power' (1987), Gender is ,' a pattern of relations among
people...an extensive and complex pattern woven through all institutions
they live in...and shapes their lives at every level' (Connell et al.
1982pp33-34).There is considerable published research
that clearly indicates gender is a issue in OE. Her Outdoors, Risk
,Challenge and Adventure in Gendered Open Spaces from LSA has work
concerning women's experience of the outdoors etc. including Linda's work
on the women's 'careers' in the outdoors and May Carter from Australia
again looking at women's leadership.
 At a very simple level, the media representation of the outdoors as
'macho' needs unpacking. There is research needed to explore
different forms of masculinities as well as femininities in the outdoors.
Barbara