Hello, to add to steve's comments; ( You've shamed me into responding for
UK, Steve!)
early NC documents concerned with whole school (NCC, 1990)

'outdoor education can make a significant contribution as a focus for
cross-curricular work...There is value in sampling activities which may
become the basis of life-long outdoor pursuits: in addition OE provides an
ideal opportunity for field work in geography,science, PE, environmental
education and for education for citizenship (NCC, 1990,p6)

and
'Both living and travelling out of doors can include residential
experiences. These provide opportunities for pupils to learn more about
themselves as individuals and in relation to their peers and adults. Such
expriences can prove an effective means of consolidating and extending
school-based personal & social  education' (DES, 1991a p14)

Outdoor Education is not a subject but an approach to education which is
concerned with the overall development of young people. It is an organised
approach to learning in which direct experience is of paramount importance
(DES, 1991b p12)

However, these have not i think be enacted in schools to any degree. Now OE
is part of the PE curriculum as outdoor and adventurous activities
You could get if you wished the publication, 'Outdoor and adventurous
activities in PE key stage 2-Guidance for teachers' ref QCA/98/172      tel
00 44 1787 884444. It is concerned with physical challenges , problem
solving and working together.

I'm not sure whether OE as defined in the early papers does actually occur
in schools. I think probably not although there are residentials available
in some schools. Someone else may be able to add to this

Best wishes
Barbara