Dear Neil,

Can I inform you about a European Union funded project that I am involved
with.  The project consists of partners from the Czeck Republic, Sweden,
Scotland, Germany, Austria and England who represent academic and
practitioner (and variations) in a range of professional settings.  The
task is to set up an outdoor education in-service training course for
teachers.  The issues that we are in the process of resolving may be of
interest to you.

We have resolved to develop a course which embraces the diversity found
inter- culturally (between countries) and intra-culturaly (within
countries).  To do this we have had to take account of philosophical
debates at a highly abstract level as well as understanding the many
outlets and contexts that exist when people 'learn outdoors'.  This has led
us into what we consider to be the most important philosophical juncture
which relates to the difference between outdoor education and education (or
learning) out of doors (these two terms are loaded with cultural
connotations).  To give some examples our group consists of class-room
teachers, who take their pupils out of the classroom to the school grounds,
or local woodland, to pursue curricular outcomes.  There are people who use
outdoor games, there are people who pursue adventurous activities, there
are people who adopt a 'sensitization' approach to the outdoors, there are
people influenced by the Scout movement, principals from local authority
residential centres, university lecturers, school teachers and people
simply (not intended pejoratively) interested in learning out of doors.  I
do not intend to be exhaustive here in my rather poor description of
cultural diversity.  My intention was more to indicate that this project
exists and these are the issues that we are wrestling with, and trying to
resolve, in a way that embraces cultural diversity.

The group will pilot this course in May 2001 by which time we will have
developed a course handbook, rationale for the course, and bibliographic
sources on which the course is based.  A web site is soon to come on line
and there will be contributions from partners which show their individual
perspectives.  We did have a web site but there is a new one on the way.
Once this is available I will post it on this list.  If this is of interest
to you please come back to me.  I could put you in touch with individuals
from these countries and they could present you with their perspective.

Best wishes, Robbie Nicol