Craig,
EEF website is :
http://www.eef.org.uk/
Their sickness absence survey is private to members who contribute to it, so
you will need to check that your employer is a member.
In Scotland it trades as "Scottish Engineering"
http://www.eef.org.uk/scotland/sc.htm
There is no interactive content there, if you are a member and ring, they
will allow you access to their benchmark data.

CBI website is :
http://www.cbi.org.uk/home.html
Their annual survey is "Focus on Absence" and sponsored by BUPA.  It
contains good regional data, and industry sector data - but not regional
Sector data - available price #25 from CBI (no on-line sales).

Best published benchmark data I know of is in IRS Employment Review - It
gives actual named company comparators, so you can pick your own benchmark
companies, but access to data is expensive, but then why should we expect
people to give away good data for free - it costs money to collect.
http://www.irseclipse.co.uk/
They will allow you access to a sample for free :
http://www.irseclipse.co.uk/publications/PABBsample.html

Dr. Geoff Helliwell MB ChB CIH FFOM MIOSH
Medical Director
WellWork Ltd. UK