Amanda,

Thanks for your response,

You say that, in your dissertation, you demonstrated that you can
audit the difference between output and outcome in OH.

I can see that this might be relatively straight forward for things like
vaccination programmes - over time you would hope to see no new
cases of for example Hep B and might reasonably assume that (if
the risk of exposure has remained the same) that the vaccination
programme has contributed to this, particulary if you had a control
group.  There might also be an impact from raised awareness,
improved working practices, mechanical aids etc. So direct cause
and effect relationships might be difficult to demonstrate in groups.

But when it comes to other core OH activies such as, pre
employment assessment, health promotion, counselling and even
things like workplace assessment, exposure assessment, health
surveillance - I would be interested to know:

a	what outcome measures you use for these activities
b	how you measure these outcomes (taking into account latency)
c	how you put a 'cost' to them

Thorney issues...... but if you have published something on this I
would be interested in the referrence.

Stuart

Dr. S.C. Whitaker
Senior Research Fellow