In message <[log in to unmask]>, Andrew Hobbs
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>I too was told that ethnic monitoring is done so poorly in some trusts that
>the results were not worth looking at, during the course of my research
>recently.
>
>Has anyone asked health staff why ethnic monitoring is not done well? Are
>there good examples that contradict this picture, and if so, how have they
>succeeded?
>
>Andrew Hobbs
>Preston

The key to all this must be USING the data. I think this is really
difficult. we have just profiled our patients in an inner city practice
in toxteth (report avaiable if you want one) but the only way the
enthsuaism will be maintained  is by patients visibly benefitting from
the use of the data and staff being kept on board with what is happening
as a reuslt of the data. this is a big undertaking. we have had a
committment from the very start to use th data we obaitned to provide
appropriate health care based on evidence of need to our practice
population but it is very hard. for example our information clearly
indicates that a bilingual member of the reception and clerical staff is
needed but various circumstances prevent our local Trust who employ all
of us s our health centre for advertising for one. thus it can be very
frustrating.................
Katy Gardner, GP at:
Princes Park Health Centre
Toxteth