As one just newly joining from Australia, may I comment on several matters raised by other participants:-

1) Superstitions.... As a matter of record, in 40 years experience in underground coal mining in NSW Australia, I have never encountered any form of serious belief in superstitions...it was well know (in jest) that mysterious beings  known as "Pywies" (perhaps derived from Pixies) would remove or displace tools etc whilst the workers were absent...and there was from time to time some mention of bad fortune if females were allowed underground, yet my three daughters accompanied me underground on may occasions (from the time they six or so until well into their teens) and were never treated with anything but kindness by the workforce. I well appreciate however that Australian mining has a comparatively short history and the matter may well have been different in older (especially metal) mines

2) Names of Mines (see Tyne Main/Gasworks etc)
Mention is made of a Wallsend Colliery remote from Northumberland. Here in NSW many coal mines were named after counterparts in Britain (usually from Wales or Northumberland) close to Newcastle NSW (itself named after Newcastle upon Tyne), we had collieries incorporating the names Cardiff, Swansea, Hartley, Pelaw Main, Hebburn, Lambton, Wallsend and many more.
It is my understanding this rarely was done from sentiment but  was either to assist in raising capital when the company was floated (this was especially prevalent in the metalliferous mining arena) or more often to associate their product with coal from a well known mine "back home" so ship's masters instructed to purchase a spec cargoe in Newcastle for export to South America (say) would be attracted to the coal.

John Shoebridge