This is my first and maybe last posting to the list and I really do hope that someone can help me.
Whilst browsing old postings to the list I came across a reference to Spence level, posted by Barry Jones. I contacted Barry offlist and he has kindly told me where I can find it and informed me that it was probably named after the person who held the concession.
My ancestors lived in Reeth and mined in Grinton until at least 1844 but what I would like to establish is whether they had anything to do with Spence level.  My great great grandfather Joseph Spence described himself as a private miner in the parish records.  Would this mean that he worked his own mine?? I would also like to know when the mine was first worked.

Also, slightly different subject, when my ancestors left the area they moved to Seaham(coalmines) and then to Prussia for a while (Rhine Elbe area). I have a theory that they went to Prussia to carry on lead mining which had been the tradition for at least two generations.  Could this be a possibility?  Someone has informed me that in Elizabethan times there were Prussians working in the pennine lead mines. Anyone have any information?
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Janice Spence Martucci
Paris