Can anyone help, there is a shaft situated just behind the Swinner Gill Smelt Mill in Swaledale (Keld Area) which is lined with limestone blocks.Was this a air shaft to the Swinner Gill Mines, and if so what is its depth? Secondly does anyone have any information on the New Level in the same area, or a very good book on this area of mining (not Rastrick's books) I have wasted too many man hours trying to locate mining sites in the dales. I have many photos in my collection of the Dales mines, but information is very scanty.

Thanks B.J