Without wishing to introduce a morbid note to the exchanges on this mailbase, I'm pondering a question my wife put to me the other day when I returned from various underground forays in and around Nenthead with a couple of rolls of undeveloped film and a few bits of mineral: "What are you going to do with all these mining things?" (i.e. when I go to that great stope in the sky).

Many of us will have perhaps a lifetime's collection of photographs, books, mineral specimens and mining paraphernalia, and not all of us will have children who wish to inherit them - I've two teenagers myself but they have no interest in mining. And like many fellow enthusiasts, I've got thousands of photos (mainly transparencies) of mines all over the UK, above and below ground, loads of books (I dare say none of them particularly rare but the collection is pretty comprehensive), mineral specimens and a dozen miners lamps. My photos are probably of average quality - I'm no expert, but they do form a record of sites that have changed a lot in thirty years, or which have disappeared altogether.

It would be nice to think that these could go to someone who appreciated them (while they are important to me, I guess the average museum or archive might find them pretty unremarkable) but how do you identify such a person or organisation? The last thing I would want would be for them to be wasted ... any ideas?

Yours in hope of a good few more years yet,

John