This new book will be of interest

A History of the Gypsum and Anhydrite Mining in Cumbria
by IAN TYLER
>From the little "pits and puddles" of the early alabaster workings in the
lovely vale of Eden in the east of Cumbria, sprang one of the largest and
most important industries in the world, British Gypsum.  It has it's roots
deep in Cumbrian soil, and from the humble rubbing stones of yesteryear to
the vast plasterboard mills of today, Ian Tyler recounts the history of the
industry in this, his sixth book The characters live again as we hear of old
George Railton, building in Carlisle in the 17th Century, the wealthy
Thomlinsons of beautiful Englethwaite Hall whose extravagant living
bankrupted them and the old women who scraped around for the gypsum to crush
it and bake it into rubbing stones in their ovens.  We read of the giant
Druid stones of Long Meg and her Sisters, guarding their ground above the
mine which took it's name from them and of the old steam locomotives which
played their part in the story too, replacing the horse-drawn carts, and no
less lovingly tended than their four legged predecessors.  Later came the
giants of the industry, the Hunters and the Trimbles who brought the company
forward into modern times, building new plant and creating jobs in the
post-war years.
On the West Coast, we find Billy the Hennit at Port Hamilton, and the tragic
Clark family, doomed Keepers of the Light on St Bees cliffs.  Then came the
mighty Marchon Company, mining anhydrite for their products above the old
Whitehaven coal seams.

GYPSUM IN CUMBRIA describes an industry which still thrives around the world
but which began modestly, with hard working men swinging picks and shoveling
rock into carts.

Ian Tyler's latest book by Blue Rock Publications soft back with 285 pages,
125 photographs, plans and illustrations retails at £15.99 + postage packing

Mike Moore

WWW.moorebooks.co.uk