Peter Claughton wrote:

> A number of issues should be addressed -
>
> 1) Encouraging the publication of raw mining related data - statistical and
> textual - in digital form, either on the Internet or on CD.
>
> 2) Providing a metadatabase of all mining history related digital resources.
>
> 3) Archiving mining related digital resouces and publications.

Hello,

it would me very valuable, if a map-based inventory of mining (and other
industrial-archeology) related sites would exist (IMHO).
This would make it much easier to track regional developments of mines and
their relation to other industries (e.g. coke-plants, steel-mills).

I have been thinking of this for quite a while now, but could not find a
unified digital map, which could be used as a basis for this purpose.
(As I am not a professional historian, high costs prevent me from using GIS.)

Just an idea

Greetings

Harald

--