In a BBC program on trench mines in the First World War reference was made to
the use of canaries and the importance of cutting their claws.  If this was
not done when rigor mortis set in the bird remained clamped to its perch.
Some years ago my brother in law was carring out experiments on blast furnace
gas emissions in a very bitter winter and they were using a canary.  To their
horror his colleague noticed the bird feet up on the bottom of the cage
turned and fled, fell down a ladder and broke his ankle.  My brother picked
up the bird and found the poor thing was suffering from hyperthermia.