 With reference to Kelvins comments on hand windlasses we can add a nice
 metal roll and supports is in the process of rescue and refurbishment in
 N,W. Worcestershire.This comes from a shallow shaft,part of the Hunthouse
 sett(1924-1973).Not far from that shaft, on private land,is an unusual A-
frame
 used to support a motorised winch on the Anderson Crane principle and used
 to sink Worcestershires last(coal) mineshaft in 1965.
   The Forest of Dean frame must be the one at Hopewell Colliery,built by the
 mine's owner,though not over a shaft as far as I know.Hopewell is now a
  museum with underground visit,simple but worth a
visit-interesting,informative
  and worth supporting.There are plans to extend the underground route by
opening
 other roadways and the museum adjoins the Phoenix Colliery,under the same
 ownership,where coal is still actively mined for some of the year,using a
late
 Forties A.B. coalcutter for holing under.
                  Andrew Santer.