-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Kelvin Lake
Sent: 19 June 2000 23:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Minehead frames

If we are compiling a list of existing mine headframes how big does the
headframe have to be?

When we think of headframes we always tend to think of large ones, but
what about hand windlasses, jack rollers or 'jinny' rollers (or what
ever you tend to call them)?

While there are probably not many of these still in existence on their
original sites there is one still over a ventilation shaft of the
Gitchfield Mine, Rowton Farm, Broseley, Shropshire (this was a clay
mine). There is a picture of the windlass in the recently published
NAMHO sponsored "The East Shropshire Coalfield" by Ivor Brown, (page
105).

Also if we are counting 'fake' headframes like the one on the traffic
island at Aqueduct, Telford then we should also count reconstructed
headframes like horse gins at various museums sites, this would probably
add a few more to the list!

Kelvin Lake
Shropshire Caving & Mining Club      ^o^
  Club introduction at           http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorbons/scmc.html
     and activities at           http://www.serve.com/scmc/index.html
Members of: Midland Cave Rescue Organisation, BCRA, & NAMHO          ^o^