From: [log in to unmask]
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
Sent: Sunday, 30 April 2000 1:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Listen out for "The Cry of Tin"

Ok Roger.   We had a lot of Cousin Jacks invade the US.  In some camps (like
the King of Arizona) they were so strong they wouldn't let any other ethnic
group work in the mine.  Throughout the Western US they were recognized as
good miners and usually worked their way up in mine management.   In Bisbee
Quality Hill, and area for bosses, was also called Cousin Jack Hill.
If you are wondering about the term Cousin Jack it was because they would
always ask the boss when they first hired, "if 'e add a job for their cousin
Jack?"  We also called the women cousin Jennies.   I was expalining this to
group of senior citizens at an elderhostil last year and one said, "Ja dat
makes sense.  Dats wot we used to call the mules, Jack and Jennie."

I am always looking for poems about mining, preferably old ones, to put in a
second book of mining poetry, songs and stories.

Mason