Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:52:42 -0700
From: Evan Price <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
CC: mining <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: gold processing

Graeme,
        Otis E. Young Jr.in his book "Western Mining", (University of
Oklahoma Press, 1970) gives a brief history of the development of
cyanidation.  According to Young, the process was developed in Glasgow,
Scotland, by J.W. MacArthur and two brothers, W. and R.W. Forrest.  On
page 284 of his book, Young explains the chemical principles and states
that the "process was first used on a production scale at the Crown Mine
at Karangahake, New Zealand, in 1889."
        While other books give more detailed accounts of how the process
was applied in specific mines, the ones that I have read will probably
not be readily available to you.  The data given should provide other
avenues of research. If you should really get stuck, I think that I can
find a detailed description of its use in the Daly Concentrator at
Hedley, British Columbia, Canada.