Erik:

I would have started the trip in Las Vegas Myself with a trip to Nelson, then
Darwin and Cerro Gordo followed by Lone Pine, Bishop, Bodie, Aurora, Masonic,
Virginia City, Sutro,Yerington and then Tonopah, Gold Field and Silver Creek.
  Then I would head out for Salt Lake City through Austin, Ely, Elko, and
Salt Lake City.   If you want to poke around there are lots of side roads and
they all either go to a mine or a ranch.   Hertz, with the supplemental
insurance and a cellular phone should be all you need.

Here is a list of the book you should try to find.

Myron Angel, Ed, History of Nevada, Arno Press, New York, 1973
Stanley W. Paher, Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps, Howell North Book,
Berkeley, 1970
Lambert Florin, Ghost Towns of the West, Promontory Press, New York, 1970
Stanley W. Paher, Colorado River Ghost Towns, Nevada Publications, Las Vegas
1976
Muriel Sibell Wolle, The Bonanza Trail, Ghost Towns and Mining Camps of the
West, Bloomington, Indiana University Press, 1953

and my all time favorite.

Nell Murbarger, Ghosts of the Glory Trail, Desert Printers, Inc. Palm Desert,
CA 1956

Best Wishes
Mason