Dear Mike,

This is really useful information - thanks. The overiding verdict now
seems to be that the mine must have been extracting coal from the
Grit. The slag may have been brought in as hardcore; it is
impossible to tell.

Rob Vernon got in touch and found us another mine / shaft
immediately uphill of ours so it looks as though the whole operation
may have been more complex, or more extensive than is now
obvious from the surface. There were also a couple of "wells" again
immediately adjacent so who knows...?

We have reason to doubt the origin of a couple of "springs" there;
one at least may originate in a choked adit under / within a farm
below the site. There is also a suspicious hole under the cellar of
one of the cottages!

It's certainly getting more and more intriguing!

Best wishes,

Martin
*******