A few weeks ago I posted a request for information on Thomas
Whitmore, who was given a lease for copper mines in the Lake District
in about 1638. I have now come across him in Ireland. In the late
1620s he and a William Webb were given a lease of certain of the
mines royal in Ireland. By 1631 they were active in Munster and in
that year they claimed to have spent 4000stlg at Knockawnadright in
Tipperary, bringing over English labour (State Papers for Ireland,
also summary in Rees, Industry Before the Industrial Revolution, pg
424).
Does anyone know if there are more records of Webb and Whitmore
activities  in Ireland or elsewhere? I would like to learn more about
both these characters. From what I can see from scanning the Public
Record Office catalogue, Webb was from Madeley and had other
industrial interests. However, it will be some time before I can
follow these references up. Any information would be welcome!

Thanks
David Poyner