The only certainty about the origin of the Lewis Bolt, used for lifting
large blocks of masonry, is that its originator was not called Lewis, since
the device was well known and widely used, in the Roman period - see
examples at Chesters, Northumberland.  'Lewis' may be derived from the Latin
word 'levis' meaning 'light in weight' - hence 'levitate' etc.  I am told
that the Latin 'levis' would be pronounced 'leuis'.  The Spanish word
'levitar' means, in English, 'to levitate', and a Spanish dictionary,
published in Britain in 1740, (sorry but I do not have the precise
reference) describes the hole made in masonry to receive the Lewis Bolt as
'by us called a luis hole'.  Smeaton noted in 1793 that 'The instrument we
now call the lewis is of old date'.

>Most mining historians interested in Bath and Cotswold stone quarries will
know what a "Lewis bolt" or "three-pin Lewis" is. But does anyone know who
Mr Lewis was and when the Lewis bolt was invented? Or is the name perhaps a
corruption of something like a loose bolt?

Stafford M Linsley
Lecturer in Industrial Archaeology
The University
Newcastle upon Tyne