An unusual query for your attention - please copy any replies to Malcom
Shifrin <[log in to unmask]>

Peter

>Although I am not a member of the mining history mailing list, I wonder
>whether it is possible to have a question put on my behalf to your
>listees.
>
>I have been researching the subject of Victorian Turkish baths for the
>past few years and have recently started the website noted below under
>my signature.
>
>_The Free Press_ dated 26 May 1858 reports a lecture on Turkish baths
>read on David Urquhart's behalf to the members of the Swindon Mechanics
>Institution who were trying to get support for such a bath to be built
>in Swindon.
>
>The speaker began by "reading an account of a Turkish bath which had
>recently been built, and is now in constant use by a body of miners in
>this country". I have never managed to get any further with locating
>this bath and wonder if any of your members could help.
>
>It may be worth mentioning that 1858 is very early for such a bath, by
>which I mean the newly re-introduced hot dry air bath (ie, not steam or
>sauna-like). The first in Ireland was built in 1856 and the first in
>England (in Manchester) a year later, but London did not get one until
>1860, so it is likely that the miners' bath was somewhere in Ireland or
>the north of England, possibly near Newcastle.
>
>Although I am especially interested in this particular bath, I would be
>most grateful to hear of any Turkish baths built by or for miners, at or
>
>near the pithead. I have not so far come across one, but cannot help
>feeling that there must surely have been some.
>
>With many thanks for any help you can give, and with all best wishes,
>
>Malcolm [Shifrin]
>http://www.victorianturkishbath.org/

Peter Claughton, Blaenpant Morfil, Rosebush, Clynderwen,
Pembrokeshire, Wales  SA66 7RE.
Tel. 01437 532578; Fax. 01437 532921; Mobile 07831 427599

University of Exeter - Department of History
School of Historical, Political and Sociological Studies
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Co-owner - mining-history e-mail discussion list.
See http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/mining-history/  for details.

Mining History Pages - http://www.exeter.ac.uk/~pfclaugh/mhinf/