The Bridgewater Trustees controlled the industrial properties and also
estates in Lancashire and Brackley (Northamptonshire) of the Duke of
Bridgewater under the terms of his will after his death in March 1803.

There were three Trustees one of whom was to be Superintendent.

The initial Trustees were:

Robert Haldane Bradshaw (Superintendent) 1803-34
Sir Archibald Macdonald, Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer
Edward Venables Vernon-Harcourt, Bishop of Carlisle and later Archbishop of
York.

Each of the latter two had married one of the Duke's nieces. They were
figureheads and the real power lay with Bradshaw.

Subsequent Superintendents were:

James Sothern 1834-37
James Loch 1837-55
Algernon Fulke Egerton 1855-91
Walter Longley Bourke 1891-c1903

For a very detailed account of the industrial estates during the period of
the Trusteeship see:

Mather, F.C.,After the Canal Duke, Oxford University Press, 1970.

--
                  fearrmeox adlap braegen

     )|           David Kitching        _____|______|_ ____
   \----     http://www.u-net.com/~brocross/home.htm  ----)