Dear James,

	Was there any evidence for the production of iron from the
Fussell sites in the period you referred. I am interested in all early
metal production site up to 1850 as I try to keep a database of such
site update for English Heritage anfd the Historical Metallurgy
Society. I know that artefacts were produced but that is very different
fro the production of metal itself. I know that there was metal
production in the area earlier in the areas history, and the little
that I have read does not convince me that there was metal production.

	Do you have a contact address for the BIAS so I can get hold of
the papers you have published?

Have you, or have you heard of anyone else carrying out analytical work
on the metallurgical debris from the site?  In particular on the metal
and the slag. Currently, we have a Part II student working on late 18th
and 19th rail iron and steel, but we are after any well dated metal and
associated debris from the 17th century to circa 1870.

Yours,

Chris Salter    Metallurgist/Archaeologist

-------------------

Material Science-Based Archaeology Group,
Department of Materials,
Begbroke Business and Science Park,
Sandy Lane,
Yarnton, Oxford

Telephone 01865 283733
Microprobe      283741
Home 		772410

WWW http://users.ox.ac.uk/~salter

* This e-mail message was sent with Execmail V5.0.x *