  From: prier family
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 12:41 AM
  Subject: Re: care in pregnancy by midwives

  Dear Ans, I am a second year Midwifery student in Christchurch New Zealand. Midwifery has gained alot of strength (and is still gaining) since legislation changes in this country in 1990 that allows a woman to choose a midwife as her Lead Maternity Carer. This involves caring for the woman throughout pregnancy, birth and the postpartum period, consulting with other health professionals as needed. As a student I am not qualified to answer your request entirely, but New Zealand would be a good place to look to for further information on independent midwifery practice. You could try looking up the New Zealand College of Midwives (Inc) at [log in to unmask] or www.midwives.org.nz/college.html  Good luck. Regards,  Michelle Prier.