Dear Tina and Margaret,

Tina has made a point which I would like to amplify; that midwifery language
is not techno-scientific language but the language of women.  Our language
has always been undervalued and suppressed.  I would hate to see Midwifery
developing 'Midwifery Diagnoses' like Nursing did.  Nursing did this to
parallel medicine in the belief that it would give nursing status and
control over the discipline.  It has not done that but what it has done is
problmatise and quantify a whole area of human experience and in the process
most nurses felt disenfranchised.

Birthing does not fit within the techno-rational world view.  Midwifery does
not, in my view, need to match itself to medicine; rather we should be
challenging obstetricians to justify, from research, their involvement in
normal pregnancies.    The research evidence is on our side; my reading of
the literature is that midwifery supported, non-interventionist birth is the
safest birth for the approximately 85% of women who are well and healthy in
pregnancy and whose pregnancies are uncomplicated.

I think it is important, as Tina said, to be careful about our language; her
example about patient, client, woman is a good one.  In being careful let's
not mimic medicine because rather than being first rate midwives we could
end up being obstetric nurses.

Dr. Kathleen Fahy
Associate Professor
Midwifery Co-ordinator