No immediate ideas - but all your thoughts sound good. There are moves to develop a strategic approach to re-discovering normality in midwifery practice - all very low key at present, but I hope it will lead to some big event in 2002 (the centenary of the midwives act) - Ill keep you informed!

Soo

>>> "familyhall" <[log in to unmask]> 11/23/00 04:04PM >>>
Dear Soo
Some thoughts......
1. Good  education, lots of experience of normal birth, apprenticing of
students
2. Re-education of qualified staff in psychology and clinical experience
away from the medical model ie if they haven't seen a home birth for years
then they need to be out there being taught by those who have seen loads
3. Getting women to tell midwives postnatally how they felt about the care
they were given and about the things that were said to them that made them
feel postive or negative about themselves!
4. Recognising those midwives who have high "normal" birth rates and getting
them to pass on their experiences to others- including docs
5. Improving pay, conditions, staffing levels, flexibility of working
patterns etc etc

OK- perhaps we should scrap the maternity services as they are and start
again....anyone for commuinty based NHS funded midwifery practises? Have we
heard this before somewhere?
Any ideas from you?

best wishes
Jenny