Dear Andrew and Denis
This is a thread of great interest to me as we work in a unit which is some
20 miles from the nearest tertiary unit. We are always aware of potential
threat - the trust wants the money currently spent on units in the
community and is carping on about the distance as a safety issue.
My argument is that small community units like ours should be retained, not
only as a much-loved, needed and wanted community resource, but also as a
safety net for women who would otherwise not make the twenty mile trip! We
of course have our own booked clients, but a percentage of our births each
year are women who have booked elsewhere and turn up, panting, on our
doorstep, with no chance whatsoever of going anywhere (undelivered,
anyway!). This particular issue does seem to be being taken seriously, but
we are also well supported by the local community, which could be relied
upon to make an unholy row if suggestions were made to close us. At the
moment, all seems to be well, but we have to be certain that all reasonably
anticipated eventualities can be accommodated in terms of training and
expertise, and that stakeholders know this.
As far as I'm concerned, the concept of transfer is part of safe practice.
The essential points are that nothing has been attempted which could not be
defended, or acknowledged to be in line with available evidence and that
all documentation is comprehensive and, again, defensible.
Centralising maternity care appears to convey no benefit for the
population, at least my reading hasn't encompassed any convincing
arguments, whilst the benefits of small units in terms of client
satisfaction, low intervention rates and low PMR (vide Tew) are well known.
Perhaps this is another issue for the proposed maternity action group (see
ukmidwifery) to take under its wing.
Lesley