Rosalee,

This may help a bit. I've been involved in work at a local maternity unit
regarding evidence-based care (however you want to define that) which looked
at markers for good practice. In a low risk group, the following were
examined:
use of intermittent fetal heart monitoring, spontaneous pushing in 2 nd
stage, upright birth posture, polyglycolic sutures for perineal repair.

In another Project we looked at:
continuity of carer targets for labour & birth
perineal outcomes, including episitomy rate for normal birth <10%
physiological 3rd stage rate
home birth & use of midwife-led birthing suite
reduction in pharmological pain support e.g. epidural & pethidine

In addition, some way of examining women's expereince of midwifery care. We
did this through qualitative interviews.

Many of these markers assume a social rather than medical model of
childbirth e.g. emphasis on physiological birth, relationships with carers,
birth away from hospitals and traditional delivery suites.

Best wishes,

Denis Walsh
Lecturer in Midwifery
De Montfort University