Dear Ishbel,

Hi, Some time last year, I sent a stirer asking midwives what value
we put on our selves.  No one seemed to take note or respond to
it.   May be I did not address it properly.

>From some of the information/interactions  we get from in our  mail
base, I feel it is about time,  we midwives face facts and address
this issue (our problem) seriously.  I mean all midwives -
educationists, managers, shop floor practitioners, researchers and
clinical practice lecturers and Professors of midwifery.

Thank you Dr. Rayner for speaking out for us . We all go to the
same market. We work dam hard at what we love.  If the public
does not recognise us, we must recognise our selves.

Do we have to have a visitor to come and challenge us to look after
ourselves?  How many of us do a second or third jobs in order to
make ends meet for bear necessities of life?

Lecturers are not allowed to discuss their students' pay when they
qualify to go into the world.  I feel that this is tantamount to telling
us that we do not know the quality we produce.

Please let some one tell me that I am not alone. And if I am not
alone, what are we going to do about it?  It is because of our poor
pay that we donot have dedicated people rushing into our
profession. A young child who came to do her own investigation
before making a decision as to whether or not to join our
profession, said, "I am not charity. Those who earn more money
are not more intelligent than the midwives".  I agree with her. Many
Maternity institutions are in crisis because of staff shortage.

We need to work out strategies to improve our stance. Dr. Jane
Sandell, you began this net work. Help us !. We need a debate.

Let some one convience me that we are all treated fairly, by our
government and our society.

Cheers

Bridget I. Okereke

Bridget.I.Okereke,
Midwifery Education Department,(Sen.Lecturer).
Middlesex University,
10 Highgate Hill,
London N19 5NF
0181 362 6020