Mersenners will be interested in this.    Replies to Mats or Michael.
Cheers / Jeff

ANNOUNCEMENT

As our previous call for interest received considerable interest,
we intend to go ahead with the planned workshop. We expect the
number of attendees to be 10-15 researchers from various historical
and social sciences.

A CONTACT WORKHOP ON ACTOR-NETWORK THEORY IN HISTORY AND POLICY
STUDIES OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY

Monday 25 September, 2000, 10:30-16:00

Arranged by
CHSTM - Centre for the History of Science, Technology, and Medicine
PREST - Policy Research in Engineering, Science and Technology
University of Manchester

Location
CHSTM Library (Room 3.29), Mathematics Building,=20
Grey Skyscraper on Oxford Road opposite Manchester Museum & the Main
Gate of the University

CHSTM and PREST are jointly organising an informal "contact workshop"
on the use of actor-network theory (ANT) in history and policy studies
of science and technology.

The main purpose of the workshop will be to further develop contacts
between researchers from various fields that have used or are
interested in using ANT in their work. We intend to keep proceedings
quite informal and there will not be any formal presentations or
papers given, although we expect those that have used ANT will be
willing to discuss their experiences with the participants of the
workshop.

The first session before lunch will be devoted to short presentations
from participants of their experiences and interest in ANT.  The
second session after lunch will be devoted to discussions of
participants's on-going or future research using ANT and larger
methodological and theoretical issues within ANT that participants
find of particular interest. For those participants that wish to read
some background material, we recommend John Law's article "Notes on
the Theory of the Actor-Network: Ordering, Strategy and Heterogeneity"
(1992) available online at
http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/sociology/soc054jl.html .

PROGRAM
10:30--11:00 Coffee & tea

11:00--12:00 Introduction & around-the-table presentations of
participants

12:00--13:00 Lunch

13:00--15:00 Discussions around on-going research & problems and
possibilities of using ANT

15:00--15:15 Coffee & tea

15:15--16:00 Discussion of future activities & summing-up

The workshop is open to graduate students and researchers and we
will provide coffee and lunch free of charge. If you are interested in
taking part in the workshop, please e-mail your interest to Mats
Fridlund: [log in to unmask] or Michael Keenan:
[log in to unmask] by Thursday Sept 21st at the latest. This is
so that we know the numbers for lunch.

Although there is no formal connection with the ANT training seminar
arranged by the Centre for Science Studies at Lancaster University on
21-22 September, we invite those attending this seminar to also take
the opportunity to participate in the workshop.

Please feel free to forward this message to others that you think
might be interested in attending.

Welcome on Monday!
Mats & Mike

Michael Keenan
PREST
Univ. of Manchester
Manchester M13 9PL
United Kingdom
TEL. +44 (0)161 275 5951 (Direct)
TEL. +44 (0)161 275 5921 (Messages)
FAX. +44 (0)161 273 1123
Email: [log in to unmask]

Mats Fridlund, PhD MSc
Researcher at=20
Swedish Institute for Studies in Education and Research (SISTER)

Until October 1 2000:
Joint Visiting Research Fellow in History and=20
Policy Studies of Science and Technology

CHSTM & PREST, University of Manchester  =20
Maths Tower, The University, Manchester M13 9PL, UK

Tel. (+44)-161-275 5904 Fax. (+44)-161 275 5699 (CHSTM)
Mob.  (+44)-790 965 0537 Voice mail (+46)-70-7164953