Tony

Surely, your question is a bit too accurate since the size of thumbnail depends on the size of screen and the resolution of the screen. Since a single thumbnail could in princple be delievered to any medium (web,kiosk,tv,wireless,label), there is no basic answer here.

If it helps, our own current public access database development uses 3 core images against each basic picture in the museum. These are a thumbnail, a principle image and a zoom/detail image. We are also considering two levels of zoom image since current scans are done at 300dpi to a 32MB jpeg compressed tif file.

Our thumbnail sizes are: 120x120 pixels
Our principle images are: 495x495 pixels
Our zoom images are: 1000x1000 pixels

However, after our first round of database testing has shown that the principle and the zoom are likely to increase in size since visitors like to view the pictures.

The other key point for usability is how many to a page and this is really dependent on the overall usability design of whatever system you are using to access the pictures (or their related objects). We are trying to keep to not more than 30 thumbnails per page but in many cases, we use less than this.

Hope that helps.

Nick

Nick Brod
Multimedia Manager
The V & A
T: 0207 942 2361
F: 0207 942 2448
E: [log in to unmask]

>>> Tony Gill <[log in to unmask]> 14/06/00 23:51:59 >>>
Hi All,

Some years ago I came across a study into the optimum sizes for
thumbnail images in large visual results sets... But now I can't
remember where I saw it! I *think* it was a paper in a museum computing
context, maybe some conference proceedings, but so far my web searches
have not come up with very much.

Can anyone offer any clues?

Cheers,

T.
Tony Gill
Research Libraries Group, 1200 Villa St, Mountain View, CA 94041, USA
E: [log in to unmask] T: +1 (650) 691-2304 F: +1 (650) 964-1461
W: http://www.rlg.org/ or http://www.rlg.ac.uk/