Hi Ed,

If you look on the mda's website magazine at www.mda.org.uk
there's an article about it. As You'll probably hear from all and
sundry the MDMA is a creation of the J Paul Getty Trust and ICOM
set up to administer the domain name - all quite legit. As I
understand it, the unscrupulous won't be able to buy up the domain
names because .museum and all similar ones like .mus have been
awarded to MDMA and they will have strict criteria about who they
allow to use the domain name - based on the ICOM definition of a
museum. It should be an option rather than an obligation for
museums who may be happy with their .com or .org.

That's my understanding anyway
Best wishes
Sande

On 21 Nov 00, at 14:34, Lee, Edmund wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> List members may have already picked up from the press the announcement of
> new internet domain names, including the new '.museum'. If not see the press
> report at http://www.icann.org/announcements/icann-pr16nov00.htm . Does
> anyone know anything about the organisation that put this idea forward, the
> 'Museum Domain Management Association, (MDMA)'? Will this development mean a
> whole lot of work to ensure that museums have the .museum version of thier
> site registered, as well as the .org or .gov or .co versions? Looks like a
> further opportunity for unscruplous bulk buying up of names and re-selling
> them to hard-pressed museum web-site managers!
>
> Edmund Lee
> English Heritage

Sande Nuttall

mda