Just to add another point to the response to one of Derrol Hopewell's
comments:

>       1. As this is the Museums Computer Group perhaps it should be fair to
>       assume that everyone has access to the Internet. If not perhaps they
>       should make it a priority for this new year, any computer will do, the
>       only cost being that of a modem, ISP's are free.

It is not just a case of having or not having access to the Internet.
Usage is dependent upon *ease* of access. Not all smaller institutions
are able to give all their staff access to the internet on their own
desktops. Eg, for the majority of staff at the Horniman, their access to
the Internet is via one communal PC per site. Time management, logistics
and the sheer frustration of having to 'wait your turn' prevent staff
from using it on a regular basis. I'm quite confident that the Horniman
is not a unique case - other MCG members must experience similar
barriers to making full use of the Internet within their institutions.
Additionally, how an institution decides to deploy its resources is
usually based on a number of factors: not just finance.

I feel that if the Newsletter was only accessible via the Internet we
would be effectively excluding people. The aim of the group should be to
try to reach as many people as possible whatever their level of
technological sophistication.

Sue

P.s Liked Tony's suggestion re MGC making a small contribution.
--
Sue Julian-Ottie
Documentation Manager