The following appeared on another list that I read, does any one know any
details?  It apparently appeared in the recent addition of MacUser.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Jeni Larkin
Business Information Source

"Title: Big Brother is watching
Subject:  Investigatory Powers Bill

I see the Regulation ofinvestigatory Powers Bill has now gone into
committee
stage.

I'm sure other readers can find out about it for themselves, but I would
just like to offer a taste. The security services, police and other
agencies, down to individual officers, will be able to routinely monitor
anyone's (or everyone's) Internet usage, without telling anyone. lfyou
protect your emails by encrypting them, you must give up the key on request
or go to prison. If material tapped from your Internet connection is
deliberately or carelessly revealed to anyone else (say, a tabloid
newspaper), this isn't an offence; ifyou reveal (or complain) to anyone
that
you've been tapped, you can be jailed for up to five years.

And on what grounds can these powers of surveillance be used against you?
Among the many possibilities are suspicion of any criminal activity; the
interests of 'national security'; or concern for 'the economic well-being
ofthe United Kingdom'.

This will all be law from 4 October 2000, unless a lot of us write to our
MPs very, very soon, or fax them via www.stand.org.uk."