I attach the reply from my Journal Subscription Agent who I asked to make my
views known about the increase in subscription to the Publisher of The
American Journal of Psychiatry. My comments are attached at the end of the
reply

Pat

Dear Pat
I have just spoken to the Supervisor in charge of Customer Service for the
above journal who assured me that they had undertaken a customer survey last
year and found that customers would be willing to pay more if it included
free internet access (thereby missing the point of free access, I feel) and
they also discovered that their journal was considerably underpriced when
placed alongside similar journals, hence the price increase. I pointed out
that our customers were unhappy about this increase, especially those unable
to use the free internet access but she said that the price remains and
there are no discounts.
This one is not a moveable feast apparently but I did try
Regards

1.	I do not know how or who they surveyed but we were not conscious of
it. It was probably an insert in the journal which as Librarians we do not
read.

2.	They have also missed the point that they are requesting a back
payment half way through the year when I have already settled the bill and
closed my last years finances.

3.	Their readers are divided into several catagories

				Dec 1999		Jan2000		Rise
	Institutional		$165			$310 		$145
	Individual		$108			$116		$
8
	Student			$  54			$  58		$
4

	Overseas
	Institutional		$219			$375		$156
	Individual		$165			$176		$
11
	Student			$82.50			$88.50		$
6
	Single copy		$21.00			$21.00		$
0

	It seems that the Institutional subscriber has been hit the hardest
	Taking the American rates in 1999 the Institutional was approx. one
third more than the individual. In 2000 the Institutional is more than twice
the individual!

	I expect that Individual members who is probably working in the
field would not mind paying $8 about £4 in English money to have the journal
online. Also an IP address might not be a problem for them as they might
have access to an IP address at either work or home and therefore be able to
keep the printed version at the other place. Also they might be able to
register two IP addresses. Some of us can not register an IP address.

	It is also likely that they could claim the subscription against tax
therefore a 40% tax payer would only pay 60% of the increase. Getting the
journal this way they also do not pay VAT as they are paying a printed paper
rate not an e-journal rate.

	The Institutional Library is being forced to pay rises for many
journals. If all publishers were to raise their prices by 71% to give
ejournals to their readers, or because they thought they were charging less
than other journals!  then many libraries would have to cancel a large
number of subscriptions. There is no extra money coming into my budget for
ejournals.or for raised subscriptions.

4.	If they felt they were undercharging compared to others why is the
single issue price $21 this year and last, no change! Is this because the
single issue purchase would not get access to the ejournal? If so it almost
proves that the increase is because of the ejournal not because they felt
they were undercharging.

5.	Why should we let them get away with this? It was probably
Librarians who have had the largest rise that never knew about the survey
and how many did reply out of those asked we  as Librarians know that with a
questionnaire the percentage return is very low. Probably only those really
interested in having the ejournal replied and were Institutional members
told that it would increase by 71% if they said yes?